Dating pendleton labels
One half township from Natchitoches, originally intended to be part of Sabine was added in 1854. The first house was erected by John Baldwin, who operated a store and used his home as a tavern. The first settler was Williams Mains, who came to the area in 1830.In 1871, a considerable portion of the southern half of Sabine Parish was removed with the establishment of Vernon Parish. The first cotton gin was built in the early 1850s, and the first census showed Sabine had a population of 3,347 whites and 1,168 slaves.Fort Jesup was founded in 1822 by Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor who later became the 12th President of the United States.Taylor's troops managed to establish law and order in this Neutral Ground.Fort Jesup has served as a vital part of Sabine Parish over the years and can be enjoyed by visitors today.It was an important frontier post until the annexation of Texas in 1845 and the focal point of the American expansionist movement.
The Neutral Ground Treaty was affected in 1806, declaring the area "Sabine Free State," a demilitarized zone, which became the neutral strip for outlaws, desperadoes, criminals and filibusters.One of the earliest settlers was Thomas Arthur, who filed a claim for 640 acres (2.6 km) on Negreet Creek.In 1819, Spain abandoned all claims to land east of the Sabine River and the United States moved in to establish law and order.The two main highways of the southwest traversed the Neutral Strip and ran about four miles (6 km) apart in the vicinity of Many.The San Antonio Trace and El Camino Real extended from Natchitoches Parish westward directly across Sabine Parish into East Texas.
The parish was created at a time when America had entered upon a new era of progress.